Family Fun Itinerary - 4 days
Wanaka is a perfect year-round family destination situated on the shores of Lake Wanaka (New Zealand's fourth largest lake) with magnificent valleys, mountains and glaciers on its doorstep - many of them accessible on foot. Absorb the breathtaking views with a road tour and stop for a scenic walk. Other activities include jet boating, horseriding, the famous Puzzling World, the unique Transport and Toy museum and of course, skiing and snowboarding.
If you would like our i-SITE Visitor Centre to help you plan or book these activities just contact them on the GET HELP live chat at the bottom of the page or email them.
Get the feel of what Wanaka has to offer:
- Walk or hire a mountain bike (bike rental options) and experience the tracks around the lake edge and down the river track. Take a walk up Mount Iron to experience great views. Go for a ride in the Sticky Forest or on the Lismore Street Dirt Park.
- Take a jet boat ride down the river (Clutha River Jets or Wanaka River Journeys) or go on a lake cruise and try and spot a Buff Weka on the islands in the lake (Lakeland Adventures, Eco Wanaka Adventures or Adventure Wanaka)
- Head to Basecamp Wanaka Climbing Centre with its unique indoor and outdoor climbing walls and Clip 'n Climb.
- Buy some fish and chip Takeaways or use the free BBQ's to cook your dinner down by the lake.
- Visit Puzzling World and the National Transport and Toy Museum
- Go for a horse ride up the Cardrona Valley with Back Country Saddles or The Cardrona or down through the vines and with Timber Creek Equestrian Centre.
- Buy some fish food from Lakeland Adventures and feed the fish off the end of the wharf or take some bread to the lakefront and feed the ducks.
- Take a 4WD trip and visit a high country sheep station with Ridgeline Adventures.
- Take in a movie and the famous hot cookies and home made ice cream at Cinema Paradiso.
- Visit the skate park at Pembroke Park, the Dinosaur playground on the lakefront or take the bikes to the Dirt Park on Lismore Street -there's heaps of fun places to go.
- Hire a kayak, SUP or water toy from the lake edge (Lakeland Adventures or Wanaka Kayaks) or just laze on the beach. Try wakeboarding, water ski or ride on a biscuit with Wake Wanaka.
- Try eco rafting down the Clutha River with Pioneer Rafting while listening to the guide’s commentary. Everyone gets to paddle on the way.
- Take a quad bike tour with The Cardrona.
- Walk to Mount Aspiring Hut for the day or Rob Roy glacier.
- Other options have a swim at the Wanaka Community Pool.
- Visit the child friendly library – if it is school holidays there may be a holiday programme on.
- The Wanaka Toy Library has an extensive range of toys for little people.
- Grab an ice cream at one of the shops and eat it on the lakefront.