Highlights along the way:
Wānaka to Albert Town - 7 minutes, 6 km
- Grab a coffee at one of the many Cafes in Wānaka before setting off for the day
- The Mt Iron walk is great to do if you have time and gives panoramic views over the whole Upper Clutha basin.
Albert Town to Lake Hāwea - 8 minutes, 10 km
- Try to spot a trout in the clear waters of the Clutha River (NZ’s largest river by volume) in NZ.
- The famous Deans Bank fishing spot is just up the river.
- If you have time take the mountain bikes and ride around the Deans Bank Mountain Bike track - 12km of flowing single track with banks and berms
Lake Hāwea to Makarora - 33 minutes, 43 km
- Stop off at Lake Hāwea for a top up at Sailz Cafe
- Pull into Lake Hawea Holiday Park for break down by lake
- Numerous photo opportunities – including The Lookout, The Neck (the narrow isthmus between Lakes Wānaka and Hāwea – note the height difference of 65m)
Makarora to Haast Pass - 16 minutes, 24 km
- In Makarora there are two cafes to choose from: Makarora Country Cafe and Makarora Tourist Centre. These are the last chance you'll have to grab some caffeine and food before you start walking.
- Enjoy the beautiful 15 minute Nature Walk located near the Visitor Centre.
- Ten minutes up the road past Makarora is the Blue Pools walk through beech forest to beautiful crystal clear pools
- Stop at Cameron Flat campsite for great elevated views of valley and a nearby walk to the lookout
- At the Haast Pass, walk for 20 minutes to the lookout to enjoy big mountain views and beech forest
- From “the Neck” to Haast Pass note the marked change in terrain and vegetation – from arid and dry to rain forest.