Highlights along the way:
Wanaka to Glendhu Bay - 10 minutes, 12 km
- Grab a coffee at one of the many Cafes in Wanaka before setting off for the day.
- Walk through the peaceful Wanaka station park – the site of original farm homestead
- Visit Rippon Winery to sample wines from the cellar door.
- For more energetic walk up Roys Peak - there is no water available on the track, please ensure you have sufficient supplies.
Glendhu Bay to Diamond Lake - 10 minutes, 6km
- Be sure to stop at the Mt Aspiring lookout just before Glendhu Bay. Take time to walk or bike along the lakeside track to Damper Bay.
- Sit on beach at Glendhu Bay and take in the spectacular scenery.
Diamond Lake to Raspberry Creek (end of road to Mt Aspiring National Park) - 40 minutes, 38 km
- For an easy walk head up to the lookout above Diamond Lake.
- Or for something more energetic head up to the top of Rocky Mountain.
- Treble Cone Ski Area is the largest in South Island
- Glacier Cirques coming into view / Expanding views of big mountains and glacial cirques around every corner on the way up to Raspberry Creek, Mt Aspiring National Park – can the view get any better?
- Crossing Rob Roy Glacier swing bridge over crystal clear waters and continuing up the track to experience the “slow reveal” of the Rob Roy Glacier coming into view. Be sure to watch your lunch (and camera) as the cheeky alpine parrot (Kea) will try to grab them.
- Mt Aspiring is the only peak over 3000m outside the Mt Cook National Park. The Mt Aspiring National Park is New Zealand’s 3rd largest.