Population 2013 Census:
- There are 2,781 occupied dwellings and 1,752 unoccupied dwellings in Wanaka.
- There are 906 occupied dwellings and 363 unoccupied dwellings in Hawea.
For more census information go to Statistics New Zealand
Lakes and Rivers Information:
- Lake Wanaka - 311 m deep, 45.5 km long, 192 sq km, 4th largest lake in New Zealand.
- Lake Hawea - 393 m deep, 35 km long,
- Average water temperature 8.9°C - 20.0°C
- Lake Wanaka 277 m
- Lake Hawea 342 m
- Mount Aspiring 3,033 m
- Mount Roy 1,578 m
- Mount Iron 740 m
- Treble Cone 2,058 m
- Black Peak 2,289 m
The Clutha River
- Largest river by volume in New Zealand, 560 cubic metres / second, 338 km long, catchment area 20,802 sq km
Year Ended December 2018 Highlights:
- Guest nights rose 9.6% to 973,037
- International guest nights rose 10.5% to 605,059
- Domestic guest nights rose 8.2% to 367,978
- The average length of stay fell from 2.24 to 2.08 nights
- The overall occupancy rate rose from 45.1% to 47.2%
- The occupancy rate, excluding holiday parks, was 69% for the year ended December 2018
- Accommodation capacity, excluding holiday parks, rose 0.7%
For accommodation statistics only check out the Commercial Accommodation Monitor
Lake Wanaka Tourism is not resourced to assist with school or university assignments by answering individual assignments, providing comment on specific questions or opinion pieces on your assignment topics. The statistics and links on this page have been provided here to assist you with your research.
Users should note that these statistics are indicative only and are based on a variety of sources that employ different methodologies and survey populations. As surveying all visitors at any given time is impractical, most figures are derived from weighted samples. Figures are subject to rounding.